How To Create Perfect Chalkboard Lettering
If you run a small business, you may like the idea of using a chalkboard sign outside your premises to advertise things like special offers, promotions and the like. The temporary nature of a chalkboard means that you can change the content of your announcement whenever you wish. But how do you make the end result look good, even if you're not particularly artistic?
Here's how to create perfect, eye-catching characters using chalk.
What you'll need
- a computer and printer
- liquid chalk pens (available from good craft shops)
- a chalk board
- a ruler
- a spirit level
- painter's tape
- cotton buds
How to do it
- First of all, decide what you want to say on your sign, create a document on your computer, and type out your advertisement/notice. Decide on the size and font of the lettering you'd like for your sign and adjust it accordingly on the computer. Print out the first couple of words so that you can hold them against the chalk board to check the scale.
- When you're happy with your work, print out each word, cut it out, and tape it to your chalk board with painter's tape.
- Now take your ruler and use ordinary white chalk to draw lines on the board that match the top and bottom of your words. Check that the lines are perfectly parallel, using your spirit level.
- Un-tape the letters/words from the board. Take the first word and use liquid chalk to outline each letter on the reverse side of the printed paper.
- Press the paper into place between the guidelines and rub your fingers over it so that the wet chalk sticks to the board.
- Now use your liquid chalk pens to go over each word. For a 3D effect, use a contrasting, darker colour to create a shadow, drawing the chalk upwards and backwards as you go.
- Allow the liquid chalk to dry, and then carefully use a dampened cotton bud to go around the lettering to sharpen the lines as necessary.
- To make any amendments to the sign in the future, all you need to do is wash away the chalk with a mild solution of washing-up liquid and warm water.
You can create a smart chalk board sign by following the tutorial given above. For further information and advice on creating a perfect sign for your business, contact a professional sign maker in your area.